The City of Bushnell was well prepared for Hurricane Matthew, and those preparations were evident as the City came through the storm with no outages, and no major tree damage. Bushnell Electric linemen and Public Works employees were on standby all night on Thursday, and continued through Friday's winds and rain. City Hall was open at 8 am on Friday, taking calls and responding to questions from area residents.
Please be mindful if you are going to be traveling over the next few days, there are outages in other areas. While the threat of Hurricane Matthew to the City of Bushnell and Sumter County area has passed, it is important to remember that the danger is not over just because the storm has ended here. Bushnell Electric reminds residents to:
• Never, ever touch a downed power line or go near one. Always assume the power line is live.
• Do not touch anything or anyone in contact with a fallen power line or other equipment.
• If a power line falls on your car, stay inside the vehicle and call for help.
• Do not pull tree limbs off power lines. Leave those for utility crews to safely handle.
• Avoid areas with debris and downed trees. There could be live power lines hidden inside.